Monday, August 28, 2017

"Stillness" A Portrait In Oil

I have not used my oil paints for a while and decided to get them out and use them.  This painting was started on a black gessoed canvas.  I did not work from a sketch this time but just dove right in to the painting.  If I would have sketched this piece I think I may have painted the girl one size smaller.  There were quite a few layers involved here and I tried to keep the background abstract. I used many glazes. The final one was more opaque to give it a hazy feeling and add to the Sfumato effect I was trying to achieve. Here is the finished painting:


My daughter and I walk quite a bit.  I took the camera with me to one of my favorite spots near my house.  You can walk through the woods yet end up on the beach.  I have to admit my inner beach bum has really reappeared this Summer. It is so beautiful to sit by the water I swear you can feel it in your soul!  This painting was inspired by this photo of my youngest daughter in the wooded area.

May God's stillness and peace be with you always.  Prayers to those suffering in Texas.

Until the next time....

Donna




No comments:

Post a Comment