Monday, July 11, 2016

Painting "London"

I don't know about you but when I paint faces or figures I like to have a reference photo.  I usually use my own photos but I found an image on line that I saved to my computer.  I love shadow and light and this photographer is a master at capturing it.  I painted this portrait using the reference photo with intentions of abstracting it to really make it my own.  I love this painting but even with my changes I think it looked a bit too much like the photographers work.  I even taped the photo next to the painting on my wall to observe it from my coffee chair.  My daughters confirmed that the two pieces side by side were very similar but mine looked more like Robbie Kay. (It's not him:)  I could not in good conscience claim the image as my own.  What to do?

After some deliberation I e-mailed the photographer to get his permission to use the image.  He got back to me almost immediately with his blessings to use the photo. The photographer is Seth London and his work is so artistic and beautiful.  I encourage everyone to check out his images when you can.  Thank you Seth London!  I named this piece after you!

Portrait painting by Donna Holdsworth
"London"
oil on 12 x 12 x 1 wood panel

Until the next time...

~Donna~

No comments:

Post a Comment