Friday, February 5, 2016

"The Song Writers" Encaustic/Mixed Media Portrait Painting

I am still using my beeswax and encaustic paints.  I started this painting with papers that I painted with India ink for collage.  I collaged them to the beeswax treated panel.  I drew the figures with charcoal on paper and collaged them next.  After more fusing and encaustic paint I added more beeswax for texture.  I finished off with my oil sticks.  I did not use reference photos but I think it gives the song writers a more whimsical look.  Also, I think I could have drawn them on the wood panel prior to the initial layer of beeswax and saved a collage step.  I am working on a new piece that I drew first and it worked fine. (so far:)  Here is the finished encaustic mixed media portrait.

SOLD

Have a wonderful weekend and thanks for visiting my blog.

Peace!

Donna

4 comments:

  1. Donna, this is fantastic. The figures have mystery because of the darkened eyes. Leaving out detail leaves plenty of room for questioning and I really like that. The colors are moody and I love the details in the woman's clothing. Are the flowers etched in? I see the wonderful colors from your oil sticks.

    I did not know it was possible to get anything to stick to beeswax. Did you use gel medium? I have used beeswax before and loved it, but could not find any other use for it other that covering a finished piece, but obviously I was wrong about that!

    Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa!

      I painted the paper first with India ink. I drew the flowers with metallic Pitt pen. Then I dipped it into the beeswax & quickly applied it to the panel. Then I used the heat gun to fuse it. It takes a bit of practice but it sticks really well. You cannot use acrylic because the wax will not stick.

      Delete