Saturday, October 24, 2015

"Artful Dodger" Collage Portrait Painting

Amid the work on my Sputnik collages I have had the urge to paint a portrait.  I like to use 16x20x1.5 canvas for my portrait work and have had two in my studio for a while.   I think after my 13th sputnik collage I have taught myself a much needed lesson on staying focused.  I felt that I earned the right to stray from my series & get started on a portrait.  This piece is done in acrylic, collage and gold leaf.  I started him with the Mad Hatter in mind but as the painting progressed the artful dodger emerged.  I was pleasantly surprised that he made an appearance.  He is more youthful than I imagine the Mad Hatter to be.  This means I get to paint another Mad Hatter!  The excitement never ends!  :)  Have a wonderful weekend.

Until the next time......



5 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Just love how this turned out, focus is good but I'm glad you also were willing to follow your inner urgings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bren. At least I stayed focused as far as the collage is concerned! I love both abstract and figures/portraits. This one was wonderful to paint:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so different from your usual style. Yet wonderful. Great sense of drama in those shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so different from your usual style. Yet wonderful. Great sense of drama in those shadows.

    ReplyDelete